Beautyheaven.com.au published the Top 100 Beauty Products as voted by Australian women, and honestly I’m not thrilled about how little of those products are actually cruelty free.
So I gathered the whole list of products to investigate further and threw them into Wordle to see which brands took the most places in the top 100!
Clearly, Maybelline (who are infamous for their cruel animal testing policies) are really killin’ it in the Australian cosmetics industry if Beautyheaven’s 160,000 members have pooled together in giving them their vote of confidence!
Following closely were Dove, Rimmel, NIVEA, Revlon, Vaseline and Bourjois who also test on animals.
In fact, only 7 of the 100 products were cruelty free
Here’s how I determined whether a brand was cruelty-free:
- They are accredited by organisations like LeapingBunny, PETA, CCF, etc.;
- They had a clear and concise animal testing policy published on their website
- They DON’T have a parent company who DO test on animals
Of course there’s a lot more to it than the simple criteria above, but they still helped me narrow down the cruelty-free brands that made the Top 100 list.
For example, Burt’s Bees, Batiste and John Frieda are all brands that don’t actually test on animals but they’re all subsidiaries of parent companies who do test – which basically voids their individual animal testing policies.
Why? Because parent companies will always get a share (or all of) their subsidiaries’ profits, depending on the % of ownership.
Having said all that, I just want to congratulate those cruelty-free brands who made the cut!
- Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant and Nude By Nature Mineral Brush made it to the top 10 at places 4th & 6th respectively.
- Moroccanoil Treatment came 21st
- A’Kin Pure Radiance Rosehip Oil came 23rd
- Australis Cosmetics Fresh & Flawless Pressed Powder came 50th
- Australis Colour Inject Mineral Lipstick came 54th; and again
- Australis Ready Set Go Finishing Powder came 55th
So a big CONGRATULATIONS goes to Australis for having not 1, BUT 3 of their amazing products in the Top 100 since 2007! They’re 100% cruelty-free and are accredited on the Choose Cruelty Free list, but if you’re vegan – keep an eye out for lanolin, beeswax and carmine on the ingredients lists
Find out which other products made the cut over at beautyheaven.com.au. Can you guess which product trumped every other product? Hint: It’s a fragrance